Dear Oyster-Adams School Family,
It’s hard to believe that in a few weeks we’ll be welcoming back our faculty and students. It’s been a great, productive, and relaxing summer. I was able to take some time off to travel and to spend time with my family, friends, and myself. I hope that all of you are having wonderful summers, too.
We’re in the process of updating the email distribution list in the next weeks. In the meantime, we’ll send a separate email to all new families.
Please take a few minutes to go over the following announcements. If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to the school directly.
Farewell Mr. Meliotis
Over the summer, we learned some exciting news about one of the members of our school. One of the assistant principals at the Adams campus has been called to serve the district as a resident principal at another DCPS school. When we heard about this announcement, we were so proud of and excited for Peter Meliotis and his professional growth. Thank you, Peter, for all you’ve done for our school family and your impact on students, families, and staff over the years. You will be missed.
In the next few weeks, we will announce the name of the new assistant principal for 4th and 5th grade.
Adams at Meyer and Modernization Updates
We’re happy to announce we’ve been assigned a moving date to our swing space (Meyer: 2501 11th street NW). The school is currently under renovation and being deep cleaned to prepare for next week’s move.
The School Improvement Team (SIT) met yesterday afternoon to go over the schematic designs for the Adams building. The project manager provided an update on the recent request from some members of our school community for additional designs. The project manager informed the SIT that up to this point there has been no changes in the plans presented before and that DCPS is moving forward with the next phase of the project.
The team of architects provided a detailed presentation of what the building will look like inside and the location of classrooms, offices, open spaces, connection between different parts of the building, etc. Here is the link to the presentation.
Next week, there will be an additional meeting to get some feedback on the schematic design. The meeting is on Tuesday, August 8 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Here is the link to join the meeting.
DCPS also shared they are finalizing the contract with the bus company that will provide service to the new swing space. Once the contract is complete, we’ll share the logistics about students pick up and drop off.
- Oyster’s New Parent Orientation: 8/24 in person from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
- Adam’s New Parent Orientation: 8/25 in person from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
- Adams’ Students’ Orientation: 8/25 in person as follows: 4th and 5th graders from 10:00 to 10:30 a.m. and Middle school students from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- If any of the new parents cannot attend one of the meetings, we will share the presentation in our weekly communication.
- The rest of our community is invited to participate in our Beautification Day at each campus and to see the new building. This will be on Saturday, August 26 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- The Oyster campus will host an in person mix and mingle for families and teachers as follows: grades K and 1st on 9/5, grades 2nd and 3rd on 9/6. The time will be from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
- The Adams campus will host an in person mix and mingle for families and teachers as follows: grades 4th and 5th on 9/7 and grades 6th - 8th on 9/8. The time will be from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
- Virtual Back to School Night: Oyster will be on 9/12 from 5:00-6:00 p.m. Here is the link to join the principal’s message for the Oyster campus. Adams will be on 9/14 5:00-6:00 p.m. Here is the link to join the principal’s message for the Adams campus. The specific link to meet teachers will be shared directly by them in their newsletters.
- As soon as the platform that is used for scheduling students is updated with the information for the school year 2023-24, we’ll share the schedules of students and their cohorts. We expect to do this next week. Additional information and forms will also be sent to families next week.
- We’ll send reminders as we get close to each one of the dates above.
This is all for now -- we hope you have a great rest of your week.