We’d like to welcome everyone back to our second week with students. Last week, the admin team and instructional coaches had the opportunity to visit all classrooms and we saw how intentional we are about fostering authentic relationships, building a sense of community, creating cultures of trust and respect that honor diversity and inclusion.
Thank you everyone for your patience, feedback, and partnership during our first week. We value all questions and comments to become a better school community. Please continue to reach out directly to the school administration to receive immediate support.
We also want to thank all students, families and staff who participated in Beatification Day last week!
Please read the following announcements and reminders for this short week. We hope everyone has a great second week.
Key Dates for The Month of September
- September 4 - No School (Labor Day)
- September 5 - Mix and Mingle: Kindergarten and 1st grade from 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. (Oyster Playground)
- September 5 - Volleyball tryouts at Adams @ Meyer’s Gym/cafeteria 4pm-5:30 p.m.
- September 6 - Mix and Mingle: 2nd and 3rd grade from 9:00 – 10:00 am (Oyster Playground)
- September 7 - Mix and Mingle: 4th and 5th grade from 9:00-10:00 a. m. (Adams Playground)
- September 8 – Mix and Mingle: 6th grade from 8:10-9:00 a.m. (Adams Playground)
- September 11- Mix and Mingle: 7th grade from 8:10-9:00 a.m. (Adams Playground)
- September 11 – LSAT 5:30-7:00 p.m. (Oyster Campus)
- September 12- Mix and Mingle: 8th grade from 8:10-9:00 a.m. (Adams Playground)
- September 12 - Oyster Back to School Night (virtual) 5:00 - 6:15 p.m.
- September 14 - Adams Back to School Night (virtual) 5:00 - 6:15 p.m.
- September 15 to October 15 - Hispanic Heritage Month
- September 15 to17- Rosh Hashanah
- September 17 - Constitution Day
- September 21 - Virtual OCC meeting 7:30-8:30 p.m.
- September 24 to 25 - Yom Kippur
- September 21 - Día Internacional de la Paz
Announcements and Reminders
- BOY Assessments: In the next weeks, your students will be taking a set of Beginning of the Year (BOY) assessments. The information we collect will help us identify students who will receive targeted interventions in Math, English, and Spanish (TAG). This valuable information will also help teachers adjust their instructional strategies to meet the needs of all of the students in their classrooms. All results will be communicated to families and then discussed with you during the first-round parent teacher conferences.
- In-Person Mix and Mingles: These are community building spaces for families and staff to officially meet.
- Swing space Bus Updates: Once again, THANK YOU for your patience and feedback in improving our processes. We are happy to share that we addressed all issues from last week and that students are being transported to school safely and on time. The next phase of the project is to create rosters for those students who will participate in sports practices and tutoring after school. The school will coordinate directly with our athletic director after try outs.
- OCC meetings: This is the school parent and teacher organization. The General meetings are held the third Thursday of the month, with a couple tweaks during the year for holidays, etc. The meetings will be posted on the OA website calendar and will be held on Google Meet. The team is discussing the possibility of hosting in-person meetings. We invite all members of the community to share their comments and questions with board members and the school administration team. The Chair of the committee is Jennifer Jessup, and her email address is [email protected].
- Room Parents: This is another group that enhances school-family communication and partnership for different events. Each grade level has two parent representatives who communicate with school administration and staff grade level leads. The coordinator of this committee is Magalena Laguarda and her email is [email protected]. If you are currently a grade level rep or want to be, please complete the following form.
- LSAT: This is an advisory group to the principal on multiple areas, including budget and the Comprehensive School Plan. We also meet monthly in person or virtually from 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. The chair of this committee is Sweta Shah, and her email address is [email protected]. You will find all the information on the school website.
- Blackboard and Remind: In the next weeks, we’ll start using these two powerful communication platforms sponsored by the district. We’ll share additional information in the next weeks, please do not unsubscribe if you get any messages pertaining to Blackboard or Remind.
This is all for now, and we hope you have an amazing four-day week. Please reach out directly to the school administration if you have any questions, comments, or requests.