The Kids Ride Free (KRF) program allows students to ride for free on Metrobus, Metrorail, and the DC Circulator while traveling within the District.
To be eligible for participation in the KRF program, each student must be:
- A resident of the District of Columbia, and
- Ages 5 through 21, and
- Enrolled in an elementary or secondary public, charter, private or parochial school located within the district or youth in the care of the District.
School Year 2023-2024
In School Year 2023-2024, DC students can request a new SmarTrip Card for traveling on public transit systems within the district. To request a Smart Trip Card, please fill out the following links:
Students can collect their new School Year 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip cards from their school ID administrators like they did during the last school year.
School Year 2022-2023 Kids Ride Free SmarTrip cards will remain valid through September 30, 2023.
Remember: No Card, No Free Ride
Students riding Metrobus, Metrorail, or DC Circulator should always have their Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card with them or be prepared to pay the regular fare for
their trip. In addition, students should always TAP their card on the METRO fare gate or Metrobus fare box.
Frequently Asked Questions
This information was lifted and translated from Kids Ride Free Frequently Asked Questions.
How much does a Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card cost?Kids Ride Free SmarTrip cards are FREE to students. The first card is free, and any subsequent replacement cards are also free. There are program administration costs; however, students never have to pay for the card or any associated fees.
How can a student obtain a Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card?Kids Ride Free (KRF) SmarTrip cards will be assigned and issued by school ID administrators, who will have direct access to a supply of cards as well as enrollment lists for their respective schools.
What changes can we expect for the School Year (SY) 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip program?
- The SY 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip card design will prominently feature the KRF logo, and it will have the words “Kids Ride Free 2023-2024” on it.
- The District will start distribution of the new SY 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip cards in August 2023. Similar to the previous school year, students who request a KRF SmarTrip card will be assigned a pre-loaded card that is ready to use on Metrorail, Metrobus, and DC Circulator.
When will I receive my new SY 2023-2024 Kids Ride Free SmarTrip Card?Students can request new SY 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip cards from their School ID Administrator at the start of the school year; however, cards will be available throughout the school year.
How will I get to school if I don’t have a SY 2023-2024 Kids Ride Free SmarTrip Card?The SY 2022-2023 Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card remained valid through September 30, 2023, or until replaced with a new SY 2023-2024 card. The overlap during the month of September is to help ensure that students will be able to get to school without interruption. Without a valid KRF SmarTrip card, students are responsible for paying the full fare.
What if this is my first time needing a Kids Ride Free SmarTrip Card?New students will be given first priority at their schools to pick up new KRF SmarTrip cards.
Which students are allowed to receive the new SY 2023-2024 KRF SmarTrip card?
To be eligible for participation in the Kids Ride Free program, each student must be:
- A resident of the District of Columbia, AND
- Ages 5 through 21, AND
- Enrolled in an elementary or secondary public, charter, a private, or parochial school located within the District or youth in the care of the District.
Are college students eligible for the KRF SmarTrip card?
No, college students are not eligible for this program. This program is for students who are District residents and who attend a District public, public charter, or private school, and are ages 5 through 21, or youth in the care of the District.
College students may be eligible for WMATA’s U-Pass program. See https://www.wmata.com/fares/U-Pass/u-pass-faq.cfm for details.