First, complete your DCPS background check (you can follow these step-by-step instructions).
Let your teacher and Room Parents know if you would like to chaperone an upcoming field trip. Once you've been confirmed to volunteer:
- Please keep your commitment unless it's an emergency! Mark it on your calendar and clear conflicts with your meeting schedule, doctor's appointments, etc. Teachers work very hard to plan for field trips and last minute cancellations are very disruptive and could even result in the field trip needing to be cancelled.
- Arrive on time and ready to go! Have a water or lunch (if needed) for yourself so that you are self-sufficient.
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring your own metro card (if needed).
- Introduce yourself to the children in your group and learn their names.
- For the safety of your group, make sure you can attend the entire field trip - from pick up at the school to drop off also at the school. Transportation to and from the field trip is just as important as chaperoning on location. Do not volunteer if you would have to meet at the destination or leave early.
- Do not purchase anything special for your child or the children in your group.
- Have fun!