The backbone of Oyster-Adams’ parent-based fundraising is through our Annual Campaign. The costs of running a bilingual school are high – and the per-capita budget provided by DCPS doesn’t account for the realities of a dual-language, dual-campus program. The Annual Campaign is the primary source of our school’s fundraising budget – $300,000 to be exact!
This school year, the OCC is requesting that each family contribute $450 per enrolled student to cover both the supplies and all of the other additional ways we help the school–from bilingual books, tutoring, and electronic learning apps, to supplemental Science Technology Engineering Art & Math (STEAM) programming, and more. You’ll get more information in the coming weeks from us on how to contribute!
Our parent donations facilitate extra staffing, and enable the Principal to dedicate 99.5% of the DCPS budget to OA critical staff. That means we have 17 instructional aides in OA classrooms, instead of the 5 allotted from our DCPS budget. This video from 2019 shows how parents donations to the OCC helps our unique faculty and community.
Oyster-Adams students are reaching record levels of achievement, regardless of race, learning differences, or socioeconomics.
|• Bilingual staffing
• Bilingual programming
• iReady math app
• Field trips
|• Science experiment materials
• Bilingual books & manipulatives
• RAZ Kids bilingual reading app
• Professional development
• Art/PE/Music/Theater programs
We know that you share our goals for achievement and improvement for all OA children – and our school has never been stronger.
- Scores Are Up–Double digits gains in reading & math PARCC scores!
- Best in City–OA has highest performing 8th grade readers in the city (DCPS or charter)!
- Shrinking Achievement Gap–Reading achievement gap is narrowing in every sub- group; 4 years ago less than half of Black/African-American students scored proficient/advanced: now 79% are!
- College- level Spanish–41 eighth grade students took the AP Spanish Language exams and 98% passed, earning college credit before even enrolling in high school!
What is the purpose of the Annual Giving Fund?
The Annual Campaign is managed by the OCC, Oyster-Adams’ Parent Teacher Organization, a 501(c)(3). The OCC pays for academic programs, equipment and supplies NOT funded by DCPS.
How is money raised for the fund?
Each family is asked to make a suggested donation of $450 per child. Make a one-time donation or consider a monthly contribution. Give what you can. No amount is too small (or too big!). You’ll get more information in the coming weeks from us on how to contribute!
Is my donation tax deductible?
Yes. You will receive a receipt for your tax purposes at time of contribution. If you need documentation for an employer match to your personal contribution please email email@example.com. We’ll be happy to help you!